Friday, May 20, 2016

Three years later.....Hi 2016!

Wow, so it's been three years since I've blogged! I'm sitting in my apartment, frustrated because I was venting about work to my boyfriend, who surprisingly, doesn't want to hear it! As I found myself wishing that I come back as a lesbian in my next life so that I can date women and have real conversations with my partner, I said to myself "Fuck it, I'll blog about it". Who cares if no one reads it, at least I'll be able to get some things out. So, I'll pretend that someone read my first posts and is dying to know what's happened in the past three years since I last blogged. Well, A LOT has happened!! I ended up living in NY for a total of four years. I cooked in eight restaurants, lived in Astoria, the Bronx, Long Beach, New Hyde Park and Mineola. Got my heart broken and found out what it's like to be in a relationship with an alcoholic. Got two more tattoos. Saw Snoop Lion in concert, dated someone with a child (which I swore I'd never do), dated someone else that took me to California, Chicago, Paris and Florida all in the span of two months, reconciled with my ex, now a recovering alcoholic and am currently living in Newport, RI managing a hotel! What a whirlwind it's all been. Wow, this blogging thing does make me feel better! It's like an online diary that's open to the public, what a concept! Had a couple of bloggers that stayed at the hotel for a few days and she said "you should start a food blog!" Which although I really appreciated it, I feel like there are so many food blogs currently online. I'm going to keep with the idea of just blogging about life and maybe one day, I'll turn it into a book! I'm going to try to include ridiculous stories about the guests that stay at the hotel because it's been so entertaining and I think it should be shared to bring joy to all. We've been managing the hotel since September 2015, we live on-site and have no kitchen in our apt, so we cook in the hotel kitchen and have zero privacy. We've got a dog and although I often want to give him a karate chop to the neck sometimes, he's been a ray of sunshine. We cook bfast every morning for guests and that's been my cooking outlet since taking this job. The guests love the food, take pictures and ask if we use caterers here. Some I tell that we cooked professionally in NY and others I just say thank you and keep it as our little secret. Let's see, guests are mainly pleasant and really awesome! We had one guest a couple of weeks ago bring us black and white cookies from NY! She asked on the phone if I wanted anything from NY and I said Hell Yes, Black and White Cookies and she came through! Brought 5 black and whites straight from the bakery in Commack, NY. We got a couple of free tickets to the Food and Wine festival and we ate our way through in two hours no drinking of course! Haven't drank since January 2014 and as long as we're together, I'll never drink again as a show of support for his sobriety. Guest stories: - A few weeks ago we delivered a breakfast basket to a room, which is what this hotel does when it has five or less rooms booked. They called the emergency after hours phone at 8:30am "appalled" at the bfast we brought them. They wanted jam, salt & pepper and milk brought up. Said something about breaking the law and false advertisement regarding breakfast. It's amazing how worked-up people get over something that's included in the price of their room. Their eyeballs were popping out of their heads from anger as they complained to me the next morning about the breakfast basket, the guy vacuuming the stairs the afternoon they checked in three hours early, they wanted "tea service" in the afternoon, I can't even remember all of the things they complained about. - Had a guest call the other day and get the rate for a room for a family of four. When I quoted him the rate, he began to barter with me. Saying "what if I leave one of my kids at home?!!?" "what if you only charge me for three?!?!" "Come on, give me a discount, work with me! What's your name??" And I just kept repeating "I'm sorry sir, I can't break the rules for you. If you show up with four people, I'm charging you for four people." He promised to call back at 8am the next morning. - Received a call from a guest complaining about the new website. "There used to be a calendar on the website and I could punch in my dates and search all of the prices and availability. Where is it??!!" All I could say was "I'm sorry ma'am we redesigned the website and it's no longer there" She says "Well that's stupid! I guess I'll have to call back and keep someone on the phone for 30 minutes when I have more time to call back." Yep, we'll be here give us a call. I think the phone is my current nemesis here at the hotel. People call all day and night. The phone doesn't stop ringing and it's half people just asking for rates and availability (they don't book) and the other half of the calls are people asking random questions that pop into their heads. Do you have a pool? (No) Room with a view? (We're in a residential area) How far are you from all of the shops? Beach? Mansions? What restaurants should we eat at? What restaurant can accommodate a dinner for 150? Pet friendly? How far are you from the Naval academy? Brown University? Should we visit Brown while there? Do people not research vacations anymore? Isn't it supposed to be fun to pick a spot to go and research all the things you could do? I'm planning a nine day vacation to Mexico right now and I've already got lists of restaurants, beaches and shopping to do while there. I'm reading Fodor's, Lonely Planet and Trip Advisor reviews plus the other HUNDREDS of websites of other travel info. WTF people. In other news, I received a letter from the IRS yesterday about my taxes not being filed correctly. I finally hired an accountant to do my taxes after doing my own for the past ten years and BAM, the IRS is trying to be a penpal. Also, haven't been on Facebook for about two months and I'm not sure I'm going back anytime soon. I've read so many articles about how social media like FB can make you unhappy, so suck it FB.

No comments:

Post a Comment