Monday, May 30, 2016

Pissing on the Parade

Alright! So, we're planning a trip to Mexico for January vacation. Apartment is booked, car rental and flight all booked. My guy was talking about getting machetes and hiking through the jungle; he was only half kidding. So hiking became a topic of discussion and his attitude was "yeah, cool, we'll go hike in a jungle somewhere. We'll figure it out." And my first thought was "lets do some research to see where to hike. Some where that might end with a cool view based on where other people have hiked instead of just stopping on the side of the road and walking through a jungle, only to come back two hours later half eaten from mosquitos and miserable." So, apparently I'm always negative. It's like I have to be extra realistic for the both of us. I'm waiting to look in the mirror and have the resting bitch face that some women have. I used to think it was their fault but now I'm wondering if it's a product of their environment from their relationship. Sometimes you have to piss on their parade. Of course, all of this discussion and these thoughts took place while we're running breakfast for a full hotel. That's another reason I don't recommend working with your significant other. You have these super personal, emotionally charged conversations and then a second later a guest is asking is for a scone recipe and I have to grit my teeth and smile. I'm straddling the line of my personal and professional life every minute of every day. I'll be expecting a trophy once this job is over. At least there weren't any guest complaints today! We got every extra set of keys back from the guests and there were only two late check-out requests. Woo Hoo!! So I was thinking that I should add some sort of food knowledge, since I have a lot of info in my head about food. I've been making popovers for the breakfast and did a couple hours of research on how to successfully make popovers. I've made about 200 at this point and here are some tips: 1) heat pans in the oven while making the batter 2) can use cooking spray on light metal pans but if used in a dark metal pan they won't rise 3) warm the milk before adding to the frothy eggs 4) they collapse because they are still raw inside. So cook at 400, once they've risen and begin to get good color, lower to 350 to finish cooking. 5) Prepare to feel victorious!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment